?

Log in

daddybear716 [userpic]
Sampler Sweater
by daddybear716 (daddybear716)
at June 19th, 2006 (02:26 pm)
current mood: accomplished

I've been doing a lot of knitting lately with two goals in mind; first to finish up my many works in progress and second to use my rather sizable stash before making any further yarn purchases. So here is a finished sweater made from stash.

It is the Sampler Sweater from Simply Beautiful Sweaters For Men. The yarn was one of my purchases made last year at the Greater Buffalo Knitting Guild Auction. It was a mystery yarn that came with no band or marker and was mistakenly marked as a worsted weight acrylic, when in fact it was a single ply, loosely spun, worsted weight wool.

The yarn came in two very large skeins, like one of those One-Pounders you see in the stores. I knit up the back using the first skein and had a good sized ball of 4.5 ounces left over. Plenty to make a sleeve with, so I would do the same with the other skein. Unfortunately that was not a full skein and there was very little left after I finished knitting the front of the sweater.

My dilemma was how to finish this sweater without enough yarn to complete both sleeves. The yarn was a heathered grey, with flecks of blue, green, orange and mustard in it. I knew I would never find a grey to match, so I figured I would use a color that would pick up the color of the flecks.

A search through the stash came up with no acceptable matches, so a purchase would be needed, but it would only be 2 skein at the most. With a scrap of yarn in hand I went looking through the worsted weights. I was also trying to be frugal, as the original auction purchase was only $8, I didn't want this additional yarn to cost triple that. I found Paton's Classic Wool in Paprika to be a good match of the orange flecks, which I thought was the dominate color of all of the flecks. The 40% off coupons from Joanns kept the price in the frugal range I wanted.

So I split the leftover grey yarn into two equal sized balls and knit the top section of the sleeves. From there I knit with Paprika, completing the sleeve then doing the final 2 rows of ribbing and cast off in the grey. I chose to do the collar in Paprika to help pull the secondary color into the design.

Here is a picture of the completed project. I just need some cooler weather so I can wear it now



  

Comments

Posted by: Eireinn (eireinn)
Posted at: June 19th, 2006 09:39 pm (UTC)
knitting patterns// by smutella

I really like the two-tone sleeves. It's like the t-shirt over a long sleeved shirt look, but...not.

I tried the use-up-stash-and-finish-WIPs thing and yeah...I ended up buying yarn. $70 worth of yarn. And two knitting books. D'OH!